Frequently Asked Questions
We have an extensive range for you to choose from based on the look you like and how practical it will be for you. Choose from the list below and more.
- Trex composite
- Millboard composite
- Newtech Wood composite
- Spotted gum
- Ironbark (grey and red)
- West Australian karri
The timeframe it takes to build a new deck can vary depending on the project’s size and complexity of the deck design, the deck’s location, and any preparation work that is required for us to commence work. For simple projects, the turnaround time may be less than a week from start to finish. For more complex decking projects, the process may take a few weeks or even months with some of the commercial-scale work that we carry out.
We recently completed a commercial deck and walkway area that was 127 metres long. It ranged from being almost at ground level to 4 metres off the ground in some places. The installation time for that project was seven weeks.
A 90-square-metre trex deck replacement built over two levels has just been completed in over two weeks.
Before we commence work, we draft plans and provide an accurate timeframe for work (weather permitting) so that you’ll have a clear timeframe. Like anything, we can run into unexpected hurdles that can change timeframes, but we’ll always ensure that you know how we are progressing throughout the build.
An advantage of choosing us for your deck makeover or installation is that you will have your portal login ID that gives you access to our programme to see progress on your project. You can feel free to ask questions or make comments directly through the portal, and a staff member will immediately be notified and will be able to respond very quickly.
If you seriously consider adding a deck to your property, some of the following considerations may affect how long your project will take.
- Does your site have good access or difficult access? The more difficult the site, the longer it will take to bring materials in and take waste away.)
- Are you looking to have a complex design or a more straightforward design? The more complex your design, the longer it will take to install.
- Do your materials have to be specially ordered? Some overseas materials (and Australian sourced) can take up to 6 months to arrive on site.
- What is the size of your deck? Generally speaking, the larger the deck – the longer the installation will take.
- Adding features to your design will generally add time to complete your project. For instance, storage, bench seats and barbeque areas will add time.
If you choose the right composite board for your situation, you will achieve a really wonderful look as well as getting a deck that will give you up to 25 years of use.
Decking is generally more expensive than concrete. There is a lot more work involved in the construction of a deck and the deck boards are more expensive than concrete per square metre. The work is also of a higher level of finish than concrete and so will take to build.
Decking costs per sq metre will usually range from $600 to over $1000 if the deck needs special materials or is cantilevered over a sloping site, for instance.
Decking costs will vary depending on the materials you choose and the nature of the site your deck is being built on. Balcony decks will generally cost more than Alfresco decks, for instance.
You should allow between $600 and $1200 a square metre, with more complex decks being at the higher price point.
Beware the cheap quote for your deck. If built properly, with the correct materials, substructure, and maintenance, a timber or composite deck should last up to 25 years.
In NSW, installing balconies, patios, decks, and verandas may not require approval if the proposal meets the relevant development standards in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (the State Policy).
Some of the critical considerations that will ensure that your deck is exempt from a development proposal include the following:
- The deck must be located behind the building line of any road frontage
- The deck must not have an area of more than 25m²
- Not have to enclose walls that are higher than 1.4-metres
- Not have a floor height that is more than one metre above the existing ground level
- Not be more than three metres at its highest point above the current ground level
- If metal is used, it must be low reflective and use pre-coloured materials
- Decks located on bushfire-prone land must be less than 5-metres from a property
- Decks constructed in a heritage conservation area or a draft heritage conservation area must be located behind the building line of any road frontage.
- In some cases, it may be necessary to contact your local council for approval if existing trees or vegetation need to be removed for your decking project.
Our team can help assess your property and provide advice on any steps that need to be taken before moving forward with construction work. We will also consider important factors such as water mains, power lines, and storm drains to ensure nothing is disrupted during the building process.
Decking can be installed on an existing surface, provided that the surface is level and in good condition. Any moisture, rot, or damage to an existing surface must be fixed before proceeding with any construction.
Hardwood deck boards should not be installed closer than 350 mm (35 centimetres) close to the existing surface. You also need to ensure there is adequate ventilation under the deck to prevent moisture buildup.
Composite boards on the other hand,can installed up to 35 mms from the existing surface.
No. We can provide our staff with toilet and wash basin facilities if you wish.
If you have facilities that the staff can use, its a good idea to make them available.It will save you the cost of hiring toilet and hand washing facilities.
Why Choose UrbanArch Building?
We understand you are investing your hard-earned funds - so we invest our skill, patience, and energy to deliver your finished vision using quality materials - not second-hand or auction sourced.
On-Time & Within Budget
We arrive on time, and we will stick to the budget agreed upon. You’ll receive a schedule of work, explaining the workflow and schedule for your project.
Attention to Detail
We do the job the way it is supposed to be done - no shortcuts and we pay attention to the small details - every single time!
We are a locally and family-owned business. That means, we know exactly what every home and business owner deserves.
We offer a custom design and if you want something a little or a lot different - we can help you out.
We Genuinely Care
We genuinely care and we are committed to our clients with exceptional levels of customer care.
We are fast and responsive. If you ring us, we will answer you straight away.
You are our client - we will always look after you.